Thursday, January 7, 2010

A cup of coffee



Today I got a glimpse at how blessed my life truly is. As I sat in Starbucks waiting for a friend, a homeless man approached me and asked for money in a manner that appeared to me as aggressive and angry. I told him no and that I could not help him. As he walked away something inside me died, and as I saw how others treated this man my heart broke for him. One encounter was particularly painful for me to watch and hear. As another customer, who was asked by the homeless man for money, shouted at him and said “can't you see I’m reading my paper?” It was at this point I realized how blessed I was and that I could if I chose at this moment be a blessing to another. So that’s what I did, I called the man over and I told him I could not give him money, but I could buy him some food and a cup of coffee. So he picked out two breakfast sandwiches and some coffee. When he got his food he came over to me and asked if I would eat one of the sandwiches with him along with some coffee. It was at that moment that my heart was glad and my whole attitude change. I saw him as a person and not a homeless man, and I thanked God for the cup of coffee He had just allowed me to drink. Yes, today I realized how blessed I am, and just think it all started with a cup of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Great story Don...

    You should get a Tumblr... check out my blog
    www,FrontLineMOG.Tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete