Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Time To Remember


Over the past few days, I have been reading the book of Ecclesiastes. At times I have become somewhat solemn. As I read the words of Solomon, I see a man that saw life in a way so many of us do not.
He often says that, “all is vanity”. No matter how much you do to build your life here on earth, one day you will die and all your work falls into the hands of another. He continues to state that you have no control of what happens to the work you have done here once you leave this world, and can only hope that a good person will receive what you have worked for and do good with it.
As I continued to read, I must admit that my heart was heavy. I wanted to say, “No your wrong!” But my heart knew he was right. You see this world, and all that is in it, will one day pass away. All that is built, all that is accomplished and all that is temporal, will one day be no more.
So I took a moment to look back on my life. I took some time to ask myself what have I done with my life. Have I built anything that will last? Have I changed people, have I helped people know that there is so much more than what we see, what we can touch? Have I understood that only those things done for God matter? Have I chosen to not have the temporal things of this world so to gain the eternal things of the world to come?
As Solomon closes Ecclesiastes, he states one of the greatest truths in all of scripture. In Ecclesiastes 21:13 & 14 he states, “Now all has been heard, here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”
So today take time to remember your life and ask yourself if you are working for the things of God or against them?

No comments:

Post a Comment